Friday, March 21, 2014

Farewell, T!

One of the saddest truths about being an expat, living in a mixed, mostly transient community, is that people come and go. They leave to start families. They leave to sometimes return home. They leave to put down roots.

One of my closest friends here, is leaving for good. She's returning to her roots and while I am deeply saddened at her imminent departure (she flies out today), I'm happy that she's happy with her choice to return home. With their family growing, it makes sense for her and her husband to go back.

I dedicate this post to you, T.



Today's FO is the baby blanket I knit for her. I won't be able to meet her or her baby anytime soon and although I will miss seeing her and cuddling the little one (due in a few short months), I hope the blanket will comfort him or her in my stead.




I knit the blanket super fast because I did want to finish it before she left. Since they have decided to keep the baby's sex a surprise, I used a pastel yellow shade, acrylic for ease of washing and larger needles because it doesn't get very cold in Bangalore, where she's headed.



The ribbon finishes the whole thing off nicely. I was hoping the hearts were brown when I bought it, but oh well.



And my label, to remind her of me.



The pattern, as written, has no real edging. I added a crocheted scallop trim to make it prettier.

Finished dimensions are about 30"x 30".

I gave it to her on her farewell a few days ago. She liked it!


Pattern: diagonal tweed baby blanket
Yarn: Lion Brand Pound of Love, pastel yellow colorway
Needles: 6.00 mm (US 10)
Hook: 6 mm

Linknig up with FO Friday, Fiber Arts Friday and Creative Friday

6 comments:

  1. Sorry you are losing a friend to distance. But how sweet a reminder for her! May she have safe travels and settle in quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely gift. I love the finishing it off with a ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty blanket, you're friend must have been thrilled. It's so sad when you have to say goodbye to friends but what a beautiful gift, every time she looks at it, will remind her of you. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh, what a touching farewell. Seeing a friend move away is so hard. Your blanket is beautiful and now she can think of you every time she wraps her baby in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Overwhelmed and speechless! Thank you so much ! I love it and will cherish it for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I love to hear from all my readers :)